Lobster Thai red curry with pad Thai
For the Thai red curry paste
5 dried, hot red chillies, soaked in 75ml warm water
2 large shallots, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 cm piece fresh root ginger, chopped
1 stem lemongrass, finely chopped
4 pieces coriander root, roughly chopped
2 kaffir lime leaves, roughly chopped
¼ tsp shrimp paste
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
For the lobster curry
200ml coconut milk
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp tamarind paste
1 lime, juice only
1 tsp palm sugar
4 cooked lobster, split in half lengthways
2 tbsp coriander leaves, roughly chopped
For the pad Thai
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 large banana shallot, finely sliced
1 red chilli, sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tbsp grated fresh root ginger
150gcooked peeled prawns
400g cooked rice noodles
2 tbsp tamarind paste
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 lime, juice only
3 tbsp roughly chopped fresh coriander
2 tbsp roasted salted peanuts, crushed
- For the Thai red curry paste, place all the ingredients, including the soaking water, into a pestle and mortar, or food processor, and blend to a fine paste.
- For the lobster curry, heat a wok or frying pan until hot, add three tablespoons of the curry paste and cook until just starting to change colour then add the coconut milk.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for five minutes then add the fish sauce, tamarind, lime and sugar. Check the seasoning and add salt and freshly ground black pepper as necessary.
- Carefully remove the meat from the cooked lobsters, reserving the shells, and place the meat into the curry sauce and cook over a low heat until hot through.
- Add the coriander and stir through, then spoon the lobster meat back into the shells.
- For the pad Thai, heat a wok until hot, add the oil, shallot, chilli, garlic and ginger and stir fry for a minute.
- Add the prawns and cook for another minute.
- Add the noodles and bean sprouts and stir fry to heat through. Then add the tamarind paste, fish sauce, soy sauce and lime juice and stir to coat everything evenly.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes, until hot, then add the chopped coriander.
- To serve, pile pad Thai onto each serving plate and sprinkle with crushed peanuts.
- Place the lobster alongside the pad Thai and spoon over the curry sauce to finish.
Recipe compliments of BBC food